B2B Forum for space innovation Kickoff Session
The Future of U.S.-Japan Collaboration in
the Space Business Industry
Hosted Online on Friday, March 5, 2021
We hosted an online event, B2B Forum for space innovation Kickoff Session “The Future of U.S.-Japan Collaboration in the Space Business Industry”, as the first kick-off event of X-NIHONBASHI Global Hub ’21 on Friday, March 5, 2021.
X-NIHONBASHI Global Hub ’21 has planned a series of events throughout the year. We welcomed a variety of speakers and panelists for the first event which started with an input session by Mr. Shogo Yakame, a consultant at Nomura Research Institute, where he discussed the status quo of the aerospace market in the US and Japan in addition to the significance of global partnerships in the industry. Mr. Masashi Sato, Co-Founder, COO & Director of SPACETIDE Foundation, moderated the panel discussion consisting of experts from NASA, JAXA and aerospace corporations in both countries who have extensive international experience. They have discussed success and failure of Japan-U.S. partnerships in business and what they learned in the process of completeing their projects.
The event was live-streamed on YouTube from 9 a.m. for about 2 hours and the participants included corporations in Japan and the U.S.
- Navigator: Mr. Motohide Shiga | Head of Industrial Relations/Adviser to the Director, JAXA Business Development and Industrial Relations Department
(1) IntroductionOpening Remarks
Dr. Eugene Tu | Center Director, NASA Ames
Ms. Kyoko Dateki | Director, JAXA Business Development and Industrial RelationsDepartment
Mr. Takashi Watanabe | Project leader, Mitsui Fudosan Nihonbashi Urban Planning andDevelopment Department
(2) Input Session「Current Status and Analysis of Space Business, Importance of GlobalPartnerships」
Mr. Shogo Yakame | Consultant, Nomura Research Institute
(3) Panel Discussion「Presentation and panel discussion on issues and expectations for U.S.-Japancollaboration」
Moderator: Mr. Masashi Sato | Co-Founder, COO & Director, SPACETIDEFoundation
Mr. Terry Pagaduan | Business Development Lead, NASA Ames
Mr. Shinichi Takata | J-SPARC Producer, JAXA Business Development and IndustrialRelations Department
Mr. Michael Fletcher | President, MJF Consulting
Mr. Masa Nagasaki | Co-Founder & CEO, Space BD Inc.
Mr. Mike Kim | Head of APAC & General Manager Japan, Orbital Insight
(4) Closing SessionMr. Motohide Shiga | Head of Industrial Relations/Adviser to the Director, JAXA Business Development and Industrial Relations Department